Our old rusty medicine cabinet had been bothering me for quite a while. Finally, I could not wait any longer. I had to do something about it, because it was ruining my mornings. I have a hard enough time waking up and getting to work on time, and I did not need this ugliness to make it any harder than it had to be.
The cabinet was rusting. The hardware had been changed, but the former holes had never been patched. There were gaps between the wall and the cabinet. You can really see how ugly it is when you get up close.
This project did not take a long time to do. It took several days, but I worked for less than an hour each day. The time in between was just to let things dry thoroughly; I do not want to be doing this again any time soon. The first task was to take everything out and sand the cabinet. I puttied the holes and caulked between the cabinet and the walls. Later that afternoon I sanded the patched holes and did another layer of caulk.
The next morning I removed the hardware and painted the first coat. We already had the Rust-Oleum paint in the house from other projects. I had to be careful around the metal frame on the door, but I was not so cautious on the seam with the wall. We are planning to repaint the bathroom soon, so it does not matter if it is less than perfect.
The third day I painted a second and final coat.
The following day after work, I put the hardware back on and restocked the cabinet. I am happy with the results.
On the fifth day, I rested. Well, that is not exactly true. On the fifth day, I wrote this blog post. Tomorrow I will rest. Let’s have one more look at the before and after.